Skip Navigation

State Personnel Testing and Training Facility - Directions

Degree Acceptance Policy

Applicants must submit an official transcript for each accredited postsecondary academic institution attended. Original transcripts issued to students will be accepted. Applicants can upload their transcript when applying online through their OES Account. Photocopies of transcripts and faxed transcripts will be accepted. Information obtained from the internet will not be accepted. Original documents issued to students or photocopies can be hand delivered, faxed, or mailed to:

State Personnel
300 Folsom Administrative Building
64 North Union Street
Montgomery, Alabama 36130-4100

Official transcripts which have been submitted for any state job after January 2, 2012, will remain on file in our system and will not need to be resubmitted.

    Specific college coursework required for a job classification, as well as bachelor's, graduate, post graduate, and doctoral degrees will be accepted from schools accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) or any of the six regional accreditation associations in the United States listed below:

  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • New England Commission on Higher Education (NECHE)
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges – Senior College and University Commission (WASC-SCUC)

Coursework or degrees from schools that have not been accredited by one of the above listed regional accreditation associations may be accepted if a regionally accredited school* considers the coursework or degree to be an acceptable prerequisite for admission to an advanced degree program. For example, if a regionally accredited school accepts an applicant’s bachelor’s degree for admittance into a graduate degree program, State Personnel will accept the degree. In the case of required college coursework (but no degree requirement), State Personnel will accept the college coursework if a regionally accredited school accepts the coursework towards a post-secondary degree (e.g., a bachelor’s degree). This must be documented by a letter of acceptance from the regionally accredited school. State Personnel will review such requests on a case-by-case basis.

Note: This policy is subject to change. Certain state agencies may have additional requirements.

* The term "regionally accredited school" refers to an institution of higher education accredited by one of the above listed accreditation associations.